10 servings... Prep time: 20 minutes... Cook time: 6 hours
- 3-4 lb ox tail
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 1 bunch scallion or green onion (~4 adult-length shoots), sliced on diagonal
- 12-15 pieces rehydrated shitake mushrooms, cut in halves
- 5 star anise
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon Hawaiian rock salt
- 1 teaspoon shoyu
- Optional: 1/2 cup shelled, skinned, raw peanuts
- 5 qt. stock pot with lid
- Cutting board and knife
- Fork and pair of tongs
- Add oxtail to stock pot in a single layer. Add water to cover raw oxtail by 1" and cover pot, leaving lid slightly ajar. Bring water to a boil on medium heat, then completely drain water and discard excess fat that rises to the top. When bringing water to a boil or while simmering, leave lid slightly ajar to prevent liquid from overflowing.
- Return pot with oxtails to stove. Fill pot with chicken broth until oxtail is covered by 2". Add star anise, ginger, rock salt, and shoyu. Bring water to a boil and reduce heat to a light simmer for 2 hours.
- Add shitake mushrooms. Let simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Add peanuts (optional). Let simmer for another 1.5 hours (simmer for 1.5 more hours regardless of adding peanuts).
- Meat should tenderly fall off the bone. Use a fork and pair of tongs to gently separate meat from the oxtails. Leave bones in or remove as desired.
Tips: Add extra chicken broth or water as desired because some liquid will be lost through evaporation. Periodically skim fat off of broth's surface in steps 2 through 4. Alternatively, let soup cool and place in refrigerator to let fat congeal. Skim off fat after it congeals (typically within ~6 hours), reheat, and serve.